Sunday, April 11, 2010

Stars

One of my favorite things to do is look at stars, even when I was in the States. Of course, when I got to Africa, I was hoping for even more than I saw in the States, and new ones because I'm in the Southern Hemisphere.

Well, in the capital city, because of smog and lights, I really couldn't see anymore than I could see in America. Then, in Mzuzu, I came during the peak of rainy season, so the nights were always cloudy.

BUT, the past 2 weeks, the nights have been really clear. I was stuck outside in my backyard the other night waiting for a friend to come and pick me up so I went to stargazing.

I could see so many stars! But, there's this really great spot in my backyard, between to little trees that line my driveway, that if you look up, you can see this huge band of thousands of stars.
This is kinda what I see. (If only I had my Uncle Wayne's IPad app that tells me what it is!) I see this except not quite as much milky white cloud lookin' stuff.

When I first saw it I was just dumbfounded. I couldn't believe I had the privilege to see such an amazing sight and from the convenience of my own backyard. The next night, I put out my blanket, grabbed a cup of tea, and laid out to look at them...mesmerized for an hour.

I was doing some research on the internet as to what this band of stars is...and I think its the Milky Way. Maybe not...I'm sure someone out there way smarter than me can tell me exactly what it is, but boy, is it amazing to look at.

I wish I could put into words what runs through my head when I look at the sky about Jesus' love for us, the majesty and beauty of His creation, the awe and honor I feel to live here in Africa, the gratefulness that my Father would put such a beautiful sight in my backyard.....

I hardly ever took time to marvel at God's creation in the States. Praise him that he made things slow down so much in my life that I can take time to Praise Him through his creation.

Psalm 8:3-9

    3When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
         The moon and the stars, which You have ordained;
    4What is man that You take thought of him,
         And the son of man that You care for him?
    5Yet You have made him a little lower than God,
         And You crown him with glory and majesty!
    6You make him to rule over the works of Your hands;
         You have put all things under his feet,
    7All sheep and oxen,
         And also the beasts of the field,
    8The birds of the heavens and the fish of the sea,
         Whatever passes through the paths of the seas.
    9O LORD, our Lord,
         How majestic is Your name in all the earth! 

3 comments:

  1. His universe is staggeringly, amazingly brilliant!! How small I feel when I contemplate it! And how blessed you are to have the opportunity to appreciate it, and how smart you are to do it. Thanks for the reminder from Psalm of His love for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your uncle Wayne wishes he could come see you and we look together at the stars using my Ipad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous... not because my sky has no stars, but because I'm still stuck in the city and can't see them like you. When we move south there will be nothing to block out the stars! Praise Him for His good works!

    Hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...