Saturday, April 10, 2010

Exciting Days...

Yesterday after "FunFriday" at school, I was heading over to the Laffoon's so that Lisa and I could start making my curtains for my kitchen! I was so excited.

As I was pulling up to their gate (which is on a very steep hill), I stopped and waited for Joel to open the gate all the way. The dogs come running out, as they always do, and were sniffing around my car. I s-l-o-w-l-y pull up to go through the gate, and my car just rolled over this big lump....which was promptly followed by yelping...not to mention of bunch of African women at the bottom of the driveway yelling, "THE DOG!"

So, I picked up the giant Belgium Shepherd and his back leg hung limply. Uh-oh.
The family came running.. They were so gracious, and said if the dog didn't get out of the way, then it was his fault. Plus, now he will just learn not to come up so close to cars.

Well, we piled into my truck and off we went to the vet. The vet said that his leg was broken in about 3 places. They put him in a cast, gave him some shots, and we headed back home.

That night when I got home, my nightguard already knew all about it. Small town....ha.

Today, I finally got to work on my curtains for my kitchen! They are going to be adorable. We decided to run to the local lake/sanctuary for the sunset, so we all piled in the car and headed there.

When we got out, I walked up to the edge of the grass and looked around at the amazing view. Indigenous forest surrounds the lake and it is very peaceful. Almost immediately, my foot felt like it was on FIRE!

I looked down...I had step directly in the path of Safari Ants! There were several on my leg, and PINCHING THE CRAP OUT OF MY FOOT!

Lisa quickly told me to pull up my pants because they just start traveling directly up your body. So, I'm jerking off my shoes and pulling up my pants. I got just a few bites before I got them all off. After we piled into the car again to head back home, my hand started hurting, and there was another one on my hand! AHHH! geez, those suckers can pinch.

Eric said there are tribes in Kenya that use them as stitches. They get the ant to pinch the wound close, then bit off the head and keep it here. Weird, huh?

So, I think, though I'm quite paranoid, that I have all of them off. When we got home, we heard a boom outside...Someone was shooting off fireworks down the street! And they were really good ones too!

Wowzo...what a weekend....and its only Saturday. :)

4 comments:

  1. you just have to be extra careful ..
    Have a nice day.., or rather weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH - safari ants! I have heard tales of their terror...and the picture is downright intimidating. That's interesting about the stitches... I know what you mean about a small town. I wore knee-highs one day and the next day had several people compliment me on it although I was already back in my flip-flops. :P Word gets around... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading about you and your adventures over there! Just make sure you take the time to let us back home know about them. And of course be safe.
    Uncle Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...I think enough of the 'baptism' into the African culture already...malaria, typhoid, safari ants...what next?!?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...