Sunday, December 12, 2010

Toys

With Christmas coming up, presents has been on my mind lately and how to go about doing "Christmas" here. Do I give my gardener and his family presents? What is the culturally appropriate thing?

Well, that brought to my mind toys for the kids. So I started paying attention to what they have.

The ingenuity and imagination totally blew me away.


This is made out of bottle caps and a juice box.


This one just blows me away!
 A car! Out of bent wire! wow...
 Here is all my gardener's kids plus 2 friends.

Oh, and this was Timeo playing on a bucket and using a little straw for a whistle.

I guarantee that these kids are happier with their toys than most kids in the US are with theirs.

Kind of humbling huh?


Untitled from Lauren Reeder on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. wow. we're so blessed, and spoiled. and rich. this kinda just slaps me in the face. their smiles humble me, and make me realize just how materialistic i am. Lord, forgive me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will show these pictures to my kids...who I am training to be as creative, not out of necessity, but because I know that children who create like this, once educated, become a society's innovators and engineers. I just wrote a book about this: www.latinnovating.com. I only pray that these children are getting/will get such an opportunity!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...