Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Little snippets

Not much has been going on here in Mzuzu. We've started school and so days are long, and I'm going to be at 9 and waking up at 5:00. So, I thought I would just give you little snippets of my of my favorite events of the past couple of weeks. 

The first is the Jacaranda trees are in bloom...so there is this gorgeous purple everywhere! Being my favorite color, I think it is so beautiful. When I was on the street taking this picture, everyone was looking up and trying to figure out what I was so interested in. There isn't a big appreciation for aesthetic beauty here. They were pretty perplexed as to why I thought it was worth taking a picture.
But my favorite quote? A drunk guy..
"Why are you taking this picture?"
"Purple is my favorite color!"
"Well, you love purple, and I love you. Why don't you marry a Malawian man."
 The next happening was lunch with some girls from Norway and a girl from India...Oh, and my friend Judith. The craziest thing? If any of you know my friend, Jeff Norton, he's in Norway working at a college...and two of these girls are from that same town! How crazy is that? We had a fun time making lunch and just hanging out.
This picture is from my house. Every Thursday I meet with other ex-pats in the community at different people's house for tea, coffee, and snacks. We have a great time. Well, it was at my house a couple of weeks ago. It's so cool because we have South Africans, Portuguese, American, Irish, Tibetan, British, Jamaican, Pakistani, and I'm sure there's more. Not everyone is a Christian/missionary so its a great time to minister too.  
 
and finally, we went to a dance celebration Sunday of the Ngoni people. There were thousands of people there and we were the only whites. The Ngonis wore there traditional dress passed down from generations. 

Here's just a preview of my day. :) More to come later.

2 comments:

  1. clearly you lived to tell about it (the last pic ;))...so that's a good thing. hopefully no one from PETA will see his outfit.
    your house looks great! the window above the girls' heads looks like stained glass...i'm guessing it's not? so good to see your 'tea-time' friends. you have quite a little crowd there. love your 'snippets'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of the Jacaranda is fabulous, but I still think that the one of you and the warrior is the best (if I do say so myself, heh heh).
    Oh, and I must say, that drunk guy has impeccable logic :P

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...