Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Letter for Malawi

Dear Malawi,

We've had quite a two years, huh? Well, 22 months to be exact. Everyone thinks that to go home to the land of plenty and the land of the rich is going to be so much better than to leave you...one of the poorest nations in the world...but actually my feelings are quite opposite.

You see, you have something that America doesn't have. Most people that come to Africa I think would agree with me that there is just something about this place that gets in you...and it keeps pulling you back.

I've been perplexed for a long time about what it is that does this...Is it just new surroundings? Adventure? the beautiful scenery?

But for me, it always, always comes back to the people and their joy.

I just love Africans. I love their joy in their circumstances. I love their joy in meeting a perfect stranger. I love their joy despite the heat, bugs, poverty. I just love them period.

So, first and foremost, I will miss the Malawian people.
The way you aren't afraid to hand me your baby even though you've never met me.
The way you smile and show me such great respect because I am a visitor to your country.
The way you offer up food that I know is a sacrifice for you merely because you want me to feel welcome.


I'm also going to miss my less complicated life. Sure, in a way, I have to come face-to-face with heavy stuff: beggars, starving people, dirty children, death, and horrible life circumstances...
And its so much easier to not see that when I go back home...
But after two years here, I would rather see that than the petty things I surround and focus on back home most of the time.

I'll miss just sitting with people and talking.
Knowing that I'm on Africa time and so is everyone else...and that if I don't get my to-do list done today, its okay because there's always tomorrow.
Meeting with ladies from the community every single week for a couple of hours just to chat and drink of cup of tea together.

I'll miss even just walking down the dusty road passing women carrying babies on their backs and huge loads of firewood on their heads. I'll miss mangos and red bananas and nsima & beans and coke in glass bottles. I'll miss Lake Malawi and those beautiful mountains I'm surrounded by. I'll miss speaking Tumbuka (the little that I know) and knowing that Dada Nguruwe is just outside on my porch if any bad guys come around. I'll miss Smokey, my dog. I'll miss the Laffoons and all my friends I've made here. I'll miss Friday nights with Anna Marie. I'll miss Maggie, Mama Tegha, and the Chirwas.

I'll just miss you, Malawi.
I have spent two of the hardest/best years of my life here.
I will never ever forget you.
I've changed, I've grown, I've learned things about myself, and I've learned things about God all here in your country.

Keep your joy.
I'll try to keep mine.
And I hope, one day, we will meet again.

Until then,
Lauren




2 comments:

  1. Dude! You are beautiful. Jesus in you is beautiful. When I think back to that week I was sitting on your couch knowing in my head that your heart would be captivated and changed by this time, I'm just grateful and give glory to God for meeting my expectation! You have experienced and seen things that only you and HE know about and what a beautiful way to deepen and strengthen your relationship. Love you Lauren and I could not be more proud to know you! I'm taking some notes from you, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been privileged, challenged, and mostly blessed. I can only say, "Thank you, God. All glory to You!" I love you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...