Thursday, November 4, 2010

A quick errand...right?

I had to go get my thyroid labs done again. The closest place to me that can take them is at a hospital about 30 mins away in a small town called Ekwendeni.

So, I head out there one day after school.

But first, I had to go by and see a Malawian doctor friend of mine to write the lab request…

I got to his office at 2:00. I was his only patient. So, run through your mind what would happen if this was the states…(go in, state your business, he writes the request, you walk out 10 mins later.) Well, here's how it happens in Africa:

Front desk: "Oh he just walked in his office. Let's give him a minute to get settled."
 [10 mins later] I finally walk in to see my friend.
Doctor: "How are you? I haven't seen you in forever! Have you heard from Shirley? What are you up to these days? What do you do on your weekends? I started the Society for Malawi, did you know that? Once, when I was a boy, I used to ride my bike out to the forest. I hope I'm not keeping you. You should come to this conference! "

1 hour later….(3:00)
"Oh, now, let's talk about your medical needs. What can I do for you?"
I finally walk about over an hour later with my request.

I drive the 30 mins out to the hospital. It is a very small town, much smaller than Mzuzu. I sit for a few minutes waiting on the lab technician. The labs are done very quickly and efficiently. But then the Lab guy says…"If you wait just about 30 mins, you can take this blood work to the Pony yourself." (The "pony" is our mail service that goes to the city about 10 hours away that will process the results.)

"Oh…Okay. I'll wait." It is now about 4:00.

Don't worry. In case you were concerned I would be sitting there, all alone, needing some company, a male student nurse saw my "aloneness" and came to chat with me the while I waited. :) In fact, his opening line was: "Hello, I wanted to come and speak with the mzungu." All boys should use that pick-up line.

Finally, the lab tech. walks out and says, "Dear, we are out of large envelopes to send this. But we can go in your car to the store around the corner and get one."

"oh, sure"

So we get into my car and head to the store. We pull up, and he just looks at me expectantly. "Do you have 100 kwatcha to pay for the envelope?"

Oooohh, of course I would have to pay for the envelope….

So, we buy the envelope and I drop him back off at the hospital. Now, with my viles of blood in my front seat, sealed and addressed, I head back to the Mzuzu.

I find the "Pony" and drop off my goods.

Did I really just take my own blood samples to the mail?
I just chuckle to myself as I think about what all happened over the last few hours….Only in Africa...

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha! On the bright side, at least you KNOW that was YOUR blood in that envelope! No chance of sending someone else's in that envelope. Guess there's no STAT tests in that town! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that this is one of the funniest posts I've seen you write. That is SO Africa!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...