Sunday, March 21, 2010

2 months

I have lived in Africa for officially 2 months now. (2 months, 1 week, and 2 days).  It seems like it has been forever though! The first 7 weeks FLEW by, but the last 2 have crawled.

School starts tomorrow, and I am feeling nervous. I realized I haven't taught in over 9 months. That is a long time to take off from teaching, and it is a bit frustrating not to have everything so readily available like I did in the States.

BUT, man...through these past 2 months of lonliness, perfect peace, weeping, laughing, confusion, nerves... God has taught me a lot.

I've realized that my dependence on Him HAS to be a daily thing. He is teaching me not just from his Word either, but from novels or shows I have watched.

Example: I was reading a Christian fiction book the other night and one of the characters said, "When I moved here by myself and I was all alone and didn't know anyone, I had to depend on God so much back then for everything."

WOW! If I didn't relate to that!

I do love Africa. God put it in my heart a long time ago. Just because I love this country and these people doesn't make being away from friends, family, my aptarment, my job, American food, or my idea of "normal" any easier.

I've realized though that if I did have a roommate right now, or even a good friend in town that I wouldn't be daily looking to the Father for help to get through the day.

I can't tell you how many prayers He has answered almost immediately for me every day. I have seen Him work here more vividly than I was tuned into in the States. Sure, He was working at my church, NewSpring, in amazing ways, but I wasn't that personally involved in it. I just got to go and witness it all.

So, I'm learning. I've learned this Christian walk is so much more than how I was so comfortably living in the States. Not saying that everyone needs to be a foreign missionary, but only that God had to bring me over here for me to finally understand some things.

Contentment in whatever situation I am in.
Contentment in that I have food, clothes, a car, and a house.

Anytime I start to feel sorry for myself, I think about all of the people who are around me. They are why I am here. I, at least, have a Comforter and know Him well.

So, I need to get up and go tell them about Him too!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...