Thursday, December 30, 2010

Flying the African Way...

My car broke down on my way to Lilongwe to renew my passport on the Tuesday before Christmas.  It wouldn't be that big of a deal if not for:
a. I HAD to get it done that week so I could get in time to go to Spain in 3 weeks.
b. My car died a horrible, horrible death. (though I think we are resurrecting it!)

After getting up at 5, driving for an hour, waiting on the side of the road for 4 hours, and finally get back to Mzuzu 7 hours after I had left, I was in a predicament. Though thanks to Anna Marie and Megan, I was quite entertained.

To help my mind figure out how to get to Lilongwe and be back before Christmas, but still adhering to our embassy's protocol of only being opened to Americans for Tuesdays and Thursdays, I went to our "nice" restaurant in town: A1. (Indian food).

It was during my fried chicken and chips meal that my friend Besty suggested I look into Malawi Air that flies from Mzuzu to Lilongwe.

Now, to us Americans, we think…oh, an airport? oh sure! That sounds like it will solve all my problems.

Ahem.

Let me say this: only a few months before, they finally slashed (yes, hand slashed) all the grass off the runway and opened this nonexistent airport once again.
Also, Malawi Air has a reputation for being late, changing the destination once you are on the plane, canceling trips and not telling anyone, leaving early and not telling you, and basically…just being a sketchy airline.

However, rumor was that since now they are back under new management they were better.

So, I figured, I can at least look into it.

I headed to the office to find out, and they were flying out on Thursday morning! Which means, I would be there on the right day for the embassy AND it would be about $35 cheaper than a tank of diesel. Also, our mission would have an extra car for me to drive back to Mzuzu so I can have a vehicle up here. How cool!

So, I booked my ticket and prepared for my adventure.

Now, the flight left at 7, so they said to be there by 6.
I was the first one to arrive.
Luckily, they were already there and had opened the airport, so that was good news.

But the moment I saw this place…I just thought the whole time…this is going to be an AWESOME blog! hahaha. I just couldn't get over all the "africaness" of it all.

Okay, so we get there and they are sweeping up bottle caps on the floor…Guess what? The airport doubles as a bar at night. Bhahaha! Okay, so I stand in a room about 10x10 and then three ladies line up behind this little table.

I hand them my ticket, and it takes all three to check me in. They look at my ticket, HANDWRITE out my boarding pass, and direct me to go to my "gate."

Well, of course I have to go through security first…which is a hallway about 4ft long, which a women stopping you so she can pat you down and look through your carry-ons. No X-ray machines, no metal detectors, just old-fashion detective work.
ha.

So, then she points me into the waiting area. Here it is:




Yeah…I know. The pink hallway there? That's the "security" hallway where the lady feels you up. I guess they don't have those fancy body scans everyone in America is all up in arms about.

So, from the time I got out of the car to when I sat down in the waiting area to get on the plane 3 minutes had gone by. Whew…good thing I was there an hour early.

Here is what the airport looked like:

I know…it needs a paint job eh?

Well, the door is open to the outside, and well…lookie there…there's the runway! Ha.

The crew member that puts the blocks on the tires when the plane lands was standing 15 ft from me…and he got protective earwear, but I did not. heh.

 So, finally this little plane with two big propellers lands right next to the door. It holds about 45 passengers and we start to board. I was the first one on, and I asked to clarify my seat because I couldn't quite read the handwriting…he just looked me like I was an idiot and said, "Uh, you can sit where ever you want."

oh, of course.

So, I choose my seat soooo wisely in front of a girl who kicks my chair and behind a screaming child.

Luckily, the attendant couldn't find anyone willing to sit in the emergency exit row because of what they would have to do in case of an emergency, so he came and asked me to do it. I guess I looked well-traveled.

The plane did take off quite smoothly, and it was pretty amazing to see my little town from an ariel view. It doesn't look so little when you are looking down on it. Though there were no in-flight movies, hot towels, or complimentary snacks, they did come around and offer coffee or tea on this little overhead cart looking thing.

I got the coffee and was rather amused that it was served in what looked like the top to a thermos lid. And it must have been fresh milk because it kinda of curdled on the top. Yum.

Here were a couple of views from my window.

All in all, the flight wasn't that bad.
The best part was that a usually 5 hour drive to Lilongwe took 45 mins.
Oh, that and I didn't die.

2 comments:

  1. Kinda reminds me of that old TV show "Wings". Did you ever see that? It was about a teeny little privately owned airport, but in America. But even they weren't quite this small. What a hoot! The important part was your last line, "I didn't die."! PTL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, this brings back memories from the Burkina Faso airport!! And you might not believe it, but judging from your pictures, that airport actually looks better than the one there!! Oh Africa, how we love thee! ;) Thanks for sharing friend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...