Friday, December 3, 2010

The Lost Shall Be Found...Shoes That Is.

I have so many blogs running through my mind. Ones about toys, Jeremy, South Africa, Thanksgiving, and my lost shoe.

Which one do I start with today? Hmm...Let's go with Thanksgiving and my lost shoe. :)

The Laffoons and I went down to Lilongwe to spend Thanksgiving with our mission family. I was SO pumped to get down there and see everyone. It had been just about 4 months since I had seen most of them, and actually, there was one missionary there that I hadn't even met yet!

First off, let me start about my shoe. I own Reef flip-flops. For you out there that don't know about them, they are the best flip-flops on the planet. Arch-support, comfy straps, soft, mold to your foot...etc. And they run about $30-$35. I've had these for 4 years. I only have one pair of flip-flops here. Well, that's not quite true, but pretty much I wear these all the time.

So, as we are in the middle of no-where on our drive to Lilongwe, Jeremy has to use the bathroom. As there are no rest areas in Africa, we had to pull over on the side of the road. Jeremy was sitting in the middle, so he had to crawl over me to get out. I didn't realize until 3 hours later when we arrived at the guest house that one of my flip-flops had "left" the vehicle when Jeremy got out to use the bathroom.

Of course, I was disappointed. I couldn't replace it until next year when I went to the states. I would have to go around without them, but I would survive. A year living in Africa has taught me at least that. :)

So, back to thanksgiving...
We had lunch at our of the missionary's houses and there was 32 of there! It was so nice. There was a single guy there that had just graduated from seminary, and guess where he graduated from?? CLEMSON! and He's from Myrtle Beach! So, that was fun to talk about home with him. The food was so incredibly good. Of course, everything had to be made from scratch, so the food was AMAZING. We don't have turkey here, so we had chicken instead but I couldn't tell a difference.  hahaa. Betty made the dressing, and it was the BEST dressing I've ever tasted. There was sweet potato casserole, green beans, mashed potatoes, squash casserole, crescent rolls, pumpkin pie, mulberry pie, and so much more. We played horseshoes and just chatted. It was wonderful.


Well, I shopped for supplies, went to the eye doctor, hung out with a friend from when I lived in Lilongwe, and then it was time to head back to Mzuzu. We left on a Wednesday and returned on Saturday.


I was still sporting my one flip-flop. Eric, with the amazing mind he has, remember the exact spot that we stopped for Jeremy. So, we decided we were going to stop there and see if my one flip-flop was still there. I seriously doubted it was still there.  I took a picture of it...Here it is...

yep, Its in the middle of nowhere. Its a miracle we found the spot. Well, Eric pulls the car over, says, I believe it was these two bushes. He walked straight over to it, and lo and behold! there it was! (Michelle, that was for you!)
I couldn't believe it!! 
My shoe had lasted for 4 days on the side of the road. :)
It was my own little Thanksgiving Miracle.

2 comments:

  1. only you, Lauren, only you.....Lord, I love this child!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you lo and behold found your shoe!!!!! I know how attached you are to them :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...