Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dear Maggie,

 It was exactly a year ago yesterday that I was excitingly opening a letter saying that I had been officially accepted to be a journeyman in Mzuzu, Malawi.

So, I believe I can say that I have been praying for you for a year now. I started immediately praying for a friend in Mzuzu, whether another white person or a Malawian.

I have to admit, I thought that God had given me a "no" for an answer many time over the past 6 months. I had cried, wailed, pleaded, begged, and finally accepted that these two years was going to be a lonely season in my life.

Then, when I wasn't looking for it, you showed up. You sought me out...and not because you wanted a white person be your friend, but because you heard I was doing children's ministry and you have a huge heart for it.

I did think at first that this was another failed attempted at a friendship when we didn't talk for 2 weeks after meeting each other. But then, when I came to the orphange this week, and they had forgotten to plan for my visit, I was sure I had driven out there and just wasted gas. I think its pretty cool that right as I sat down on a random sidewalk, you walked out of your house. Providential? I think so.

Sharing with you in your house and hearing your heart for children was so humbling. You took great care to pull out the few children's evangelistic materials you have saved over the past few years. You were so excited to show them to me! I admit I felt so spoiled...most of them were the "toss-off" materials of old sunday school guides. You told me how you were saving up your money so you could photocopy a children's bible story book you borrow from a friend. You were so amazed at how they put the Bible stories with pictures and into kid's language and you knew it would be such an asset to your sunday school class. I was so humbled.

When I learned that you were the only Christian in your family, my admiration for you just grew. Your mother and sister didn't understand why you thought you needed "Jesus" and why their old Catholism ways and their works weren't good enough to go to heaven. I could tell that you were so burdened for them.

Sharing that afternoon with you listening to our favorite worship songs, talking about our lives, you teaching me how to make chips, and just sharing our hearts was so wonderful.

So, thanks Maggie.
Thanks for being willing to follow Jesus.
Thanks for being willing to be friends with a Mzungu (white person) because I know its not always easy.

You are an answer to a lot of prayers.

Love,
Lauren

3 comments:

  1. God is good all the time, in all places. I am thanking Him now for Maggie, and for the connection the 2 of you have made. I know there's more blessings to come from this friendship. Please tell her that I hope to meet her one day, and that now I have a name for that friend for Lauren I have been praying for. Give her our love from Charleston.
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me want to cry. I love how God provides such sweet, unexpected surprises for us. Indeed, He knows what is best. Why do I ever question that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited I discovered your blog! Unbelievable that you are there and that you are experiencing the richness of His grace...in the people, the area, and in answered prayers! Chris and I are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...