Saturday, July 24, 2010

Christmas in July!

I went to Lilongwe this past week with the 4 Laffoons kids for a "Soul Care." This mission group from Norfolk, VA ( I told them all about you Uncle Stew!) came to do a Ladies Retreat and also a VBS for the kids. So Eric and Lisa decided to stay in Mzuzu, and I took the kids down with me.

It is a 4 1/2 hour drive down to the city.
Did you know there are over 90 speed bumps (little tiny ones) on the way?
Also, there are 14 bridges that you cross over.
Plus, tons of road kill, and a couple of bricks tied to a tree (Why you may ask? Well, to keep them from falling off.)
So, as you can see, we learned to entertain ourselves on the way down.

Anyway, it was a great time. I got lots of fun treats and candy and hang out with some people my age. One of the guys even graduated from Bob Jones! We had a good talk about that. :)

BUUT, one of the best parts...I got 3 packages!! WOOT! Lots of candy and fun stuff from America. I tell you...its like Christmas when you get a package!

Thanks Mom!! Really happy that the package that got sent to Malaysia finally reached Malawi. ha.
Thanks Clayton and Mrs. Mostinger!! You guys are sooo sweet! What a great gift for a teacher to be able to keep in touch with her students! Miss you and thank you for thinking of me!
Thanks Mr. Chuck!! They tried to charge me $80 because the customs slip said it had a voice recorder in it, but I charmed my way out of it. :) Thanks for the candy and the mixes! We were REALLY excited about the cheesecake mix.

A sad part of coming to Lilongwe was to say bye to Kym. She was the journeyman that I stayed with when I first came to Malawi. Well, her term is over and she is headed back to America on Aug 1. Also, another Baptist Missionary couple that I really have spent a lot of time with is having to leave for good for medical reasons. That happened very quickly. We learned about that the first week of July, and they are flying out at the end of July. So sad. Plus, another couple is leaving for their Stateside Assignment.

I now am the only Journeyman in Malawi! Wow!

1 comment:

  1. Wow is right! I had no idea so many people were leaving so soon. I first read this at Libby's house when I was showing her your blog.
    So now I'm really digesting it all. Hope your packages made you feel a little connection with 'home'...sooo glad they all finally arrived! I'm packing another one today and sending it your way probably tomorrow. Very cool about the group from Norfolk! Talked to Janice more about NGU...I'm more excited than she is! lol, but of course that's because Kam will be 6 hours from them, only 3 from us!
    love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...