Sunday, August 28, 2011

Road Trip!

We have two missionary families in a small little town called Mzimba about an hour south from here. And when I say small, I mean small. They come to Mzuzu to "go to the city" and "go out to eat." heh.

Both families are so sweet and precious, and I have been promising since I moved here that I would take some time to go down there for a visit.

Finally, I had the time, but no diesel, so I decided to take a bus down there.

I splurged and paid $6 for one of the really nice buses. Its like one of those tour buses you would take to youth summer camp.I was pretty excited. Plus, no animals are allowed on those. It was a really nice trip down there.

I had to be at the bus station at 6:30am and Eric was going to take me. That morning started off with a bang because right before Eric came to pick me up, they caught a thief at their house....
....stealing the plastic chairs off their porch....
....he also had curtains in his hand, but claimed those were his...
Oh Malawi.

Anyway,
The first day I hung out with the Robertsons. They have two young kids, so I spent most of my day playing games, hearing the latest sports updates, playing catch, and trying not to catch the cold everyone seemed to have. (I did not win that battle).


The next day, I spent with the Rudds. They are an older couple and from the south. So I had the sweetest tea I have put to my mouth since I left South Carolina.  AND GUESS WHAT I HAD FOR BREAKFAST?! Grits, Bacon, Eggs, and Biscuits (with grey horse, dad!). Oh my gosh! My southern accent came out just being around them and eating all that homey food.


We had girls afternoon, and I ate my weight in desserts and watch chick flicks. I was in heaven.

I was planning on leaving the next morning, but that bus wasn't quite as nice as the first. It was only $3, but  jammed packed and standing room only. Plus, it stopped at every possible place to pick up someone/drop someone off, so it would take a lot longer.

I decided to wait for the next bus that came 8 hours later, and I'm so glad I did.
The Rudds took me for a picnic to the top of this little mountain. It looked over all of Mzimba. Gorgeous! It really made me think about how much I'm going to miss this place.


As you can tell, I climbed on everything I could in flip-flops. 

Thank you Mzimba for such a wonderful time!

1 comment:

  1. Just curious...so is there a bus station in Mzimba, or did the bus also try to drive up that semi-dirt hill that we almost drove off the end of? Did they just drop you off in the middle of the road and you walk to your destination? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...