Wednesday, September 15, 2010

There is currently no diesel in Malawi.

My truck is diesel…yep, that's a problem.

I have less than half-a-tank, so driving places and extraneous trips are out of the question, and lots of walking has to take their place.

Yesterday, there was a rumor in town that the Total stations were going to be getting diesel, and there were over 60 cars lined up in the queue waiting for it. Craziness!

But the real reason I wanted to write this blog was to let you know how expensive/cheap things are here. I think that people assume everything is cheap here, but that is definitely not true. It's my theory as to why this country is so poor; people can't afford to live decently.

Now, there are some things that are cheap. For instance:
A glass bottle coke: $0.30
A pair of brand new real-deal Crocs: $1.60
5 tomatoes: $0.25
Watermelon: $1.60
Oranges: $0.06 each
a maid twice a week: $4.60 a week
1 loaf of bread: $0.66
4 yards of authentic Africa material: $4.60
Having a tailor custom make you an outfit out of the material?: $8

But here are some things that ARE expensive (most things are)
Gas: $6.00 a gallon
Apple: $0.45 EACH
1 small box of Laundry Detergent: $20
4 sticks of butter (1lb): $8
1 gallon of shelved milk: $10.60
1 can of corn: $1.60
1 package of Bacon: $5.30
7 lbs of dog food: $13
1 block of cheddar cheese: $8
1 box of instant oatmeal: $7
and 13 cents per text, and about 50 cents per minute on the cell phone.


After writing all of that, it really makes me feel guilty that I live here like I do....
The 45 cents an hour my night guard makes, doesn't quite cover costs of living a decent life. Granted, he doesn't need gas, bacon, or instant oatmeal…but he can barely afford the cheaper food.

Have you ever watched one of those TV shows that tours you around movie stars houses, and the extravagance that they live in is somewhat covetous yet revolting at the same time because that money could be going to more profitable endeavors?

yea….I think I'm that movie star…and I have been my whole life.

Especially since I'm sitting here writing this on a Mac in my $80 jeans.

Nothing like a little Africa to put life in perspective.

1 comment:

  1. I might be stealing this post idea from you. I loved talking to you today and I'm sad we got cut off, but just think in a little over a year we get to see each other face to face without intercontinental internet connections :)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...