Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Slow.

I think that "slow" is the theme of Africa.

Everything is slow here. The internet, getting things accomplished, trying to learn the language, the speed limit...all slow.

My biggest frustration so far is probably the internet. I was such an internet-aholic in the states. Its how I keep in touch with friends and family! But here, it makes it really difficult to do that. I'm getting over it though. Another fact of life I just have to accept.

This week, Kym and I are going out into the villages where others have worked before to check and see how the church is doing. Monday, we went out to your typical "mud hut" village, but with no translator. We sat on the ground with some of the women, helped them with their corn, peeling pumpkin leaves, and just smiled and laughed through our language barrier. It was probably some of the most fun I've had since I've been here.

I also got to go out and visit a orphanage compound/school/dormitory. Kym's friend, Annie, is the headmaster for all the children and schools. She is from Colorado and took a year off teaching in the states to come and do this.

She took us out into the village and we played with kids and just talked with people.
I'm going to describe what I saw:

Rolling green hills far as the eye could see.
Mud huts with thatch roofs scattered throughout the landscape.
I was holding a the sweetest little girl in my arms as I looked out over the view.
Two women were carrying buckets of water on their heads as they made their way to their homes.
In the distance, you could hear a group of people singing in perfect harmony an African song.
And to top it all off, the sun was setting beautifully behind it all.

Yeah...tears came to my eyes...

I live in Africa.
sigh.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful, and real, and really wonderful. You're going to learn so many things there. God is so good...all the time. Obedience always brings a blessing. You're loved immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm sure that was an amazing sight! We live in the city until our backpacking job starts next year. Its good to hear you made it!! I'm looking forward to pictures :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...