Sunday, June 6, 2010

A small detour

Instead of heading straight back to Malawi after our debriefing, a few of us from our training got on a bus and headed to Victoria Falls. It was about a 10 hour bus ride to get down there (it was only supposed to be 7, but a flat tire and frequent stops delayed us).

Needless to say, looking at some of the largest falls in the world was an amazing sight. I can't describe to the the beauty of it. There was so much water coming down the falls, it felt like there was a downpour. Even with our raincoats, we were soaked.







Us journeygirls and some of the Taylors went ziplining over a gorge. It really wasn't too scary..just fun. I was so excited that I got to do it with Kylie, my little 7 year old friend. (She was part of my quad family in training in Virginia). It was so great to share that moment with her.






After the ziplining across the gorge, I guess I thought I didn't have enough fun, so Doug (Kylie's dad) and I decided to jump off a bridge! I was sooo terrified. If any of you know me well, you know that heights and cockaroaches are 2 of my biggest fears in life. I may not have overcome my bug fear yet, but I guess I was ready to face the height one.
 I can't describe to you the feeling of just willingly stepping off a bridge so high up in the air trusting that a rope is going to catch you from going to your death. Wow! I started screaming during the freefall down, but then nothing came out. I literally could not get any sound to come out. But it was amazing.  It jerked pretty hard at the bottom (which I have a bruised rib I'm still in pain over) but I just screamed with excitement. It was a huge rush. I loved it! Would I do it again...I don't know...but glad I did it at least once. :)
After such a great day of adventure in Vic Falls, it totally had slipped my mind that it was my last day with my friends I had spent the past month with.  I held it together till I was pulling out of the driveway the next morning. Tears just wouldn't stop falling. The taxi driver said, "Oh, I am so moved right now! I am so sorry!" That was really hard...

The only thing that kept me going was knowing that I was getting on a plane to see some of my best friends in Nairobi! Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...